Sunday, September 9, 2012

Brooklyn Book Festival

This is my first Sunday Salon post and I thought I would post about something near and dear to my heart - The Brooklyn Book Festival 2012.

Brooklyn is my hometown and it is a place that has always been a mecca for all kinds of people.  In fact, that was one of the things that made growing up there so wonderful.  Now, it has become a mecca for more and more writers and artists than ever before.  What to do about that?  Well, have a festival celebrating it.  And so, the book Brooklyn Book Festival was born in 2006.  

This year's festival begins with a full week of book related events on Monday, September 17, 2012 and held in various venues around the city, and best of all,most of them free (see full schedule here).  This is followed by a day of festivaling in downtown Brooklyn on Joralemon Street, a very nice, spacious, outdoor and easy place to get to (directions and map here.)  And, oh, by the way, within walking distance to Junior's, just in case you get a hankering for one of their famous and delicious cheesecakes in the original restaurant (and one of my favorite high school haunts.)  If not, there will be lots of food vendors in the area. Below is the official announcement:

2012 BROOKLYN BOOK FESTIVAL: A RECORD 280+ AUTHORS, MORE THAN 104 PANELS CONFIRMED FOR SEPTEMBER 23; OVER 50 “BOOKEND” EVENTS MAKE A FULL-WEEK FESTIVAL
Paul Auster, Carol Higgins Clark, Tony Danza, Jimmie Walker, Edwidge Danticat, Pete Hamill, Joyce Carol Oates, Colson Whitehead, Dennis Lehane, Esmeralda Santiago, Terry McMillan, Sapphire, Billy Collins, Earl Lovelace, Christopher Hayes, Dan Savage, Isabel Wilkerson, Pankaj Mishra, Karl Ove Knausgård, Gilbert & Jaime Hernandez, Adrian Tomine, Gordon Korman, R.J. Palacio, Judith Vorst, Libba Bray and many, many more to headline Festival



Fall is a beautiful time in NYC and if you are going to be in the area then, be sure to drop in on this great event and have some fun!



13 comments:

  1. Oh, I would love to be there! But I'm way over in California.

    Brooklyn is a place I've enjoyed in books and movies. Would love to be there in the fall.

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Brooklyn is a great place and it was the very first word I learned to spell. But I bet California is a pretty great place, too.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Laurel! I would love to be there! There's so many great authors attending. I hope you take pictures when you go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so many authors. I will try to take lots of pictures and hope I don't end up with my usual shots of the backs of heads rather then the faces I am going for.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alex,
    I'd like to nominate you for the One Lovely Blog Award, simply because it is a lovely, fab blog. Please check out:
    http://lowfellwritersplace.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/my-very-own-blog-award.html

    Best wishes
    Suzy Henderson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice of you, Suzy. That is so thoughtul. Thank you so much, I'll be over as soon as I can get to my regular computer (I'm on an Ipad now, very limited what you can do.)

      Delete
  4. Wow how fun!! Wish we had a festival like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be lots of fun and hope the beautiful weather we are having now lasts for it. I wish you could be there, too. I'm sure you would enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I'm very much looking forward to the festival and plan to try to get to as many events as possible!

    I'm thrilled you posted about it, Alex, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Amy, how exciting that you can go. I know it will be great.

      Delete
  6. Ohhhh, that sounds like SO MUCH FUN!! Please take and share lots of photos if you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely try to take lots of photos, but I am afraid I am not a wonderful photographer. And I will probably post about the festival, too. It should be lots of fun.

      Delete
  7. Looks great, sounds like a bunch of fun.
    Looking forward to your posts.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete